We believe that interval training offers some serious benefits to triathletes and that fast swimming can be smart swimming. The following are the top ten reasons that we love interval training:
- Interval training allows you to swim at a faster pace than you could maintain for a greater distance. Eventually, interval training will help you swim at a faster pace for a longer amount of time.
- Interval training teaches your body to respond to stress, and helps your body become more efficient at flushing lactic acid from your system.
- Interval training is mentally refreshing, as workouts constantly shift focus between fast swimming and either active or passive rest.
- Interval training doesn’t require fancy or expensive training equipment.
- Interval training will make you tough. Pushing your body outside of your comfort zone will teach you to work through the pain of a challenging workout and help you prepare for the challenges you will face on race day.
- Interval training is difficult for your body to adapt to, and can trick your body into greater improvements because you aren’t allowing your body to get used to a workout.
- Interval training teaches your body to recover faster.
- Interval training gives you the opportunity to swim at different speeds during the same workout.
- Interval training can help you learn how to pace yourself because you can look at your time or check your heart rate while you are resting. In short, interval training can help you learn more about your body.
- Interval training burns more calories than other methods of exercise. According to the Mayo Clinic, “the more vigorously you exercise, the more calories you’ll burn.”
What do you love about interval training? How do you incorporate interval training into your workouts?