I was introduced to spaghetti squash by one of my fellow water bloggers, Katie. Katie makes spaghetti squash ALL the time and has really impressed me with how versatile (and tasty) it is. This is my take on a healthy version of spaghetti and meatballs.
1 Spaghetti Squash
1 LB Ground Bison
Italian Bread Crumbs
1/2 Cup Diced Green Onions
Ranch Dressing Flavor Packet
2 Cans Diced Italian Tomatoes
Prep Time: 40 Min
- Pour the diced tomatoes into a pan at medium high heat. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Add the Italian seasoning, a dash of Balsamic and dash of sugar. Stir occasionally as you let the liquid reduce.
- While the sauce is simmering, put the ground bison into a bowl. Mix it by hand with the egg, the green onion, some bread crumbs and some ranch dressing seasoning. You will want the bison sticky enough not to fall apart while cooking. If it is too stiff, you can add some water to the mix. If it is too watery, you can add more bread crumbs or ranch seasoning.
- Pan fry the meatballs at medium heat, turning as needed.
- While the meatballs are cooking, prick the spaghetti squash all over with a fork. Put the entire spaghetti squash into a microwave and cook for 10-12 minutes depending on its size.
- Pour the marinara into the pan with the meatballs and reduce the heat to a simmer.
- When the spaghetti squash is done cooking, slice it open and remove the seeds. Use a spoon so scoop strings of spaghetti squash into some bowls.
- Top the spaghetti squash with some meatballs and marinara. Garnish with some Parmesan and serve.