I think this is a good meal to make on a Sunday night. I say Sunday because I usually have more time to cook on Sundays than I do the rest of the week. Being from Alaska, I usually make this dish with halibut. However, there is no halibut available here so I substituted it with Tilapia.
The mango chutney has sugar in it, but you can use a sugar substitute to lighten it up. I did not add any salt to the dish because prosciutto is naturally salty (I think scallops are too). If you want to lighten the egg wash, separate the eggs and use the egg whites. If you’re short on time, you can use store bought mango chutney to save an hour of prep time.
Ingredients For the Mango Chutney
(which I have adapted from Simply Recipes):
1/6 Cup Sugar or Sugar Substitute
1/3 Cup Distilled White Vinegar
2 Mangoes, Sliced into Chunks
1/2 Cup Chopped Red Onion
1/4 Cup Golden Raisins
1 Clove Chopped Garlic
Pinch of Dried Ginger
Pinch of Mustard Powder
Dash of Red Pepper Flakes
6 Oz Plain Greek Style Yogurt
Ingredients For the Macadamia Nut Crusted Tilapia
4 Tilapia Filets
1 Cup Ground Macadamia Nuts
1/4 Cup Bread Crumbs
1/2 Cup Flour
1 TB Water
4 Handfuls of Fresh Spinach
1 Clove Garlic
Ingredients for the Proscuitto Wrapped Scallops
8 Slices of Prosciutto, cut in half lengthwise
Prep Time: 90 Min
- Put the sugar and vinegar into a pot and stir as you bring it to a boil.
- Turn the heat down to a simmer and add the rest of the ingredients except the yogurt. Set a timer for one hour and stir the chutney occasionally.
- While the chutney is simmering, combine the macadamia nuts and bread crumbs in a bowl. Crack the eggs into a different bowl and add the water. Stir the eggs together. Put the flour in a separate plate.
- Prep the scallops by wrapping them with the Prosciutto and skewering them with a shish-ka-bob stick. The shish-ka-bob stick makes them easier to turn later. Set in the fridge until ready to use.
- Set a pan on the stove pot with a splash of EVOO at medium high heat.
- Cook the garlic until it is aromatic and add the spinach. Saute until it is wilted and set aside. Add more oil to the pan if needed and allow to heat up.
- While the oil is warming up, dredge the Tilapia in the flour, eggs and nuts in that order.
- Pan fry the Tilapia. two at a time until cooked through.
- Set the scallops under the broiler and cook about 2-3 minutes. Turn and broil the other side. Set aside.
- Arrange the spinach in the middle of each plate and put the Tilapia over it.
- Spoon some warm mango chutney over it, reserving half the chutney.
- Add the yogurt to the remaining chutney and spoon over the Tilapia. Plate the scallops and serve.