I have a thing for fresh pesto. I could
probably definitely eat it with a spoon and pretend it was soup. When I got the idea for this dish, I figured if I combined some of my favorite things (sauteed mushrooms, goat cheese, pesto) and used it to stuff chicken breasts I couldn’t go wrong. I also thought it would be smart to add some fresh pesto to the dish after it had baked. I was so right!
You could pound the chicken breasts thinner if you want to, but I was able to put these together without that step.
4 Thin Cut Chicken Breasts
1 Log Goat Cheese
1-2 Cloves Chopped Garlic
1 Package Baby Bella Mushrooms
3 TB Sun Dried Tomatoes
6 TB Pesto (I make mine but store bought is fine)
Italian Bread Crumbs
Prep Time: 15 Min
Bake Time: 30 Min
- Preheat the oven to 350. Set the goat cheese into a bowl while you allow a saute pan with a dash of EVOO to warm to medium heat.
- Put the garlic into the saute pan and cook for about a minute. When the garlic is fragrant, add the mushrooms to the pan and saute until they are soft and have cooked down.
- Pour the mushrooms over the goat cheese and stir everything together. The heat from the mushrooms will melt the cheese until it is soft.
- Chop the sun dried tomatoes and add them to the cheese mixture. Stir in 3 TB of pesto sauce.
- Set out a plate and pour some bread crumbs into it. Spray some olive oil or cooking spray onto a glass pan.
- Take spoonfuls of the cheese mixture and wrap them up inside the chicken breast. If you’re using toothpicks, to keep the chicken breasts closed do that now. If not, go straight to rolling the chicken breasts in the bread crumbs. Set the chicken breasts seam side down in the glass pan.
- Drizzle a little EVOO over the chicken breasts or spray them with cooking spray to help them crisp. Bake for 30 minutes or until the internal temp is 165.
- Once the chicken is done, drizzle it with the remaining pesto.